What You Need To Know About Mice Control In Monroe
October 15, 2021
The landscape of the Pacific Northwest allows for mice and other rodents to thrive because of the plentiful water supply and thick brush and vegetation. As with most rodents, mice have overgrown front teeth (incisors) that cause them to constantly be chewing on things, which can be particularly problematic when it involves wiring, cabling, or other materials within your Monroe property.
Identifying Mice In Monroe
In addition to the threat of property damage, mice are routinely exposed to parasites and may carry hantavirus, tularemia, salmonellosis, and other harmful conditions. Although there are many different species of mice found in the U.S., the three most commonly seen in this region include:
- Deer mice: The deer mouse usually measures five to seven inches long and has a similar color scheme to the white-tailed deer, with brown fur and white feet and underbellies.
- House mice: The house mouse usually measures approximately five inches, has rounded ears, and their bodies have a gray or black appearance.
- Field mice: Sometimes referred to as “meadow voles,” field mice typically measure six inches long, have brownish fur, and have a short tail.
Can Mice Climb And Jump?
Because of their small size, mice may be difficult to prevent from obtaining entry through very small openings. Many house mice have demonstrated an ability to climb up vertical surfaces that exceed five feet. Some types of mice also can jump more than six inches high.
Do Mice Have Good Vision?
Mice are born blind and struggle with somewhat poor vision throughout adulthood. Mice have an excellent sense of smell that helps to compensate them for having such mediocre vision. These creatures also rely heavily on hearing to avoid dangerous predators.
Best Practices For Preventing Mice
There are a few things you can do to help discourage mice from getting into your home:
- Examine the exterior for any crevices that have developed near the foundation and fill them with a weather-proof caulk or sealant.
- Check the seals of windows and doors for any gaps and apply weatherstripping or door sweeps where necessary.
- Place leftovers in the refrigerator or into durable sealed containers and promptly sweep up crumbs and food particles.
- Ensure that exterior trash cans containing food scraps have a properly fitting lid.
The Benefits Of Contacting A Professional
Mice and other rodents may infiltrate homes in the Monroe region and spread pathogens, contaminate food and surfaces, create property damage and other harmful concerns. Some property owners attempt to take matters into their own hands by purchasing do-it-yourself treatment options sold by online retailers and in local home improvement stores.
In many cases, these mass-marketed products, such as traps, baiting stations, and sprays, are far less effective than as advertised and deliver very mediocre results. Some of these options might also contain harsh chemicals that may pose health risks.
When you consult with a pest control expert, the problem is assessed more comprehensively and by a professional with the combination of knowledge, tools, and equipment needed to get the job done right. During the course of a detailed interior and exterior property inspection, a licensed pest controller might also identify existing property conditions that should be addressed to prevent further pest invasions.
Licensed Provider Of Pest Control Solutions In Monroe
Did you know that Guard Pest Control has many years of experience assisting residential clients that are facing challenges involving ants, stinging insects, bed bugs, and various other types of bothersome and unsanitary pests? As a locally-owned service provider, we strive to ensure that our treatment plans are conducted in a manner that protects both humans and the local environment. We are proud members of the Washington State Pest Management Association (WSPMA) and remain active in this community.
We encourage you to contact the office today to schedule an on-site inspection, consultation, and estimate. Remember to ask your representative about our year-round pest protection plans that involve bi-monthly visits to your property by our seasoned team of local personnel.