Is It Dangerous To Have Silverfish In My Everett Home?
December 15, 2021
While you’ve likely seen different insects make their way into your Everett home a time or two, there are some that look stranger than others. Silverfish are one of these odd Everett pests that often invade homes, and they look rather unsettling. They are usually silverfish or gray in color, and they have a teardrop or fish-like shape to their bodies. They also have three long feelers that emerge from the end of their body.
You can find these insects almost anywhere in the United States. They prefer homes and buildings that have high humidity and many places in the dark to hide. They are often discovered in areas like bathrooms and basements.
Since silverfish can look so strange and seem intimidating, you might have a lot of questions about problems they can cause in the home and how to prevent them. This guide is here with all the information you need to answer those questions.
Are Silverfish A Dangerous Pest?
If you were to look at a silverfish, you might assume that it has the ability to sting or bite, but this actually isn’t anything to worry about with silverfish. They might come across as scary, but silverfish pose no health threats to people or pets. They aren’t known to spread pathogens or diseases either, but this doesn’t mean you want to have them around.
Silverfish are mainly a nuisance pest, but they can cause some damage to belongings. This is because they like to chew. They will gnaw on many items such as cereals, books, wallpaper, other food items, and anything that contains sugars or carbohydrates.
While this damage might not be as serious as other pests like termites or rodents, it can still be frustrating to throw out infested food or lose precious belongings.
Some Useful Silverfish Prevention Measures
If you’re looking to prevent a silverfish infestation, the key thing is to look at the places where they are likely to infest and remove or reduce factors that could attract them. Here are specific steps to take:
- Remove excess clutter around the home’s exterior as silverfish are great climbers and can use clutter to find ways inside. You can also remove excess clutter from the inside of the home, especially in closets and basements.
- Seal up entrances around window and door frames by installing door sweeps and weather stripping.
- Use caulk or foam insulation to repair holes or cracks in the walls and foundation. Also, focus on areas where vents or wires enter the home and repair any loose areas.
- Get a dehumidifier for the home. Also, make sure to repair any leaky pipes or faucets.
- Eliminate any moldy or water-damaged wood from around the property.
- Store pet food and sugary or flour-based food items in sealed containers. Along with this, it’s a good idea to clean out pantries, cupboards, and cabinets in the kitchen often.
- Reach out to pest control experts in Everett.
Professional Assistance For Silverfish Infestations
If silverfish are already scuttling around your home, the best way to remove them is with professional assistance. The team at Guard Pest Control Makes silverfish removal as well as control easy on you. We take pride in providing reliable and affordable services that fit your pest control needs.
To learn more about silverfish control, just give us a call today to request a free quote.