What Every Monroe Resident Should Know About Ant Control
October 30, 2022
Ants go unnoticed around your home every day, but when they decide to invade your home is when they start to cause issues. Of all of the pests in Monroe, ants are among some of the most invasive and frequent. While some ants may simply be a nuisance, others can be destructive and dangerous. That’s why understanding the importance of pest control in Monroe is critical to keep ants out of your home for good.
How Can I Tell What Type Of Ants Are Invading My Monroe Home?
If you are trying to be proactive with ant control in Monroe, it’s critical to figure out the specific type of ant you’re dealing with. There are many different types, and the most effective approach to getting rid of ants is to determine which kind you have. The most common ants in Monroe include:
- Odorous house ants get their name from the rotten coconut-like smell they give off when crushed. They are tiny brown ants that range in size from 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch long.
- Carpenter ants vary in size, ranging from ½ to ⅝ of an inch long. The only external sign of their infestation other than the presence of swarmers/workers is the appearance of small openings on the wood surface.
- Pharaoh ants are tiny, typically 1/16 of an inch, and yellow or light brown. They generally are transparent and are a significant indoor nuisance pest.
Ants invade your home when they find a viable source of food. They will send scouts that then leave a trail of pheromones for the other ants in their colony to follow the path. While typically more of a nuisance pest, having a large ant infestation can cause disease or even damage your home.
Will An Ant Infestation Go Away On Its Own?
Due to the nature of the ant, infestations can be very challenging to control and typically don’t go away on their own. If left untreated, infestations can grow and become dangerous to your health. They can cause the following problems:
- Home damage: Carpenter ants create nests in hollow areas, moist wood, and decay. These ants cause damage by tunneling through the wood instead of eating it. Since most of the damage they cause is hidden in decks, window and door frames, walls, porches, and other wood surfaces, determining a carpenter infestation is much more challenging.
- Health risks: Like many other ants, odorous house ants are vectors for harmful bacteria. They are linked to the spread of E. coli, streptococcus, shigella, salmonella, staphylococcus, and other bacterial organisms.
- Other pests: Ants are viable food sources for other pests. This means other pests will find the ants in your home appealing, making them more likely to enter and remain in your home.
If an ant infestation grows out of hand, you must contact professionals to avoid significant problems. You can also take preventive steps, such as keeping your home clean, storing food in airtight containers, sealing all potential points of entry, and eliminating moisture buildup in and outside the home.
Are Ant Baits Effective To Use In My Home?
Getting rid of an ant infestation in Monroe can be easier if you are lucky enough to catch an ant problem before it becomes severe. However, you have a big task once you have a full-blown ant invasion. While some people choose to contact a pest control professional immediately, others try to deal with the situation independently. If you are the latter, you’ve probably considered trying ant baits because they are easy to use, affordable, and readily accessible, but do they work? The answer is sometimes and in limited scope. They are not effective against an entire infestation, and sometimes don’t work at all because they don’t work against every type of ant. All ants are drawn to different food sources, so there is no one-size-fits-all ant trap that can be effective against all ants.
Professional Ant Control Made Simple For Monroe Residents
The residential pest professionals at Guard Pest Control are here to help! Don’t leave yourself at risk for an ant infestation by attempting to handle the problem on your own. We have the tools and knowledge necessary to eliminate ants from your Monroe home. Guard Pest Control follows a tried-and-tested three-step ant control process in homes and businesses we service: Inspect, correct, and protect.
Once ants get onto a property, the infestation doesn't stop expanding. Don’t wait, reach out today to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Monroe and get help to stop ants!