Guide To Avoiding Ants In Snohomish, WA
July 31, 2020
Is there anything more annoying than finding a trail of ants traveling through your kitchen? It doesn't matter how organized they are or how much weight they can carry. What matters is that they are invading your living space. No one likes finding ants inside their home, especially around areas where they eat. If you don't know much about the types of pest ants in our area but know you don't want them anywhere near your home, we have this guide.
Here is everything you need to know about avoiding ants here in Snohomish.
Common Ants Around Snohomish
Snohomish, Washington is home to several species of ants. Thankfully, only four are known for invading homes. Here is how to identify each.
You'll find these small brown and black ants around homes beneath driveways, sidewalks, and within the cracks of other paved areas. When inside homes, pavement ants are considered nuisance pests because of the way they scavenge for food, but they don't cause any real harm.
Pharaoh ants are known for being among the more dangerous ants here in North America for the many diseases they carry and spread. You can identify these insects by their yellow to light brown color and darker rear section.
Odorous House Ants
Odorous house ants are probably the most common home-invading ants here in Snohomish. Thankfully these small pests are not harmful in any way. The only problem they bring comes with their smell, and by the annoyance they cause. You can identify these ants by their dark color and unpleasant coconut-like odor.
These red, black, or red and black ants are the last visitors you want living inside your Snohomish home. When carpenter ants invade, they literally make themselves at home. While digging tunnels through wood structures, these pests cause severe damage, sometimes costing homeowners thousands of dollars in repairs.
How To Prevent Ants
Not all ants are the same. Some species are dangerous; others are destructive; all are a nuisance around the homes they invade. If you would like freedom from ants, here are some great prevention tips to try:
- Keep your landscaping well maintained.
- Trim back bushes and trees from the walls of your home.
- Make sure your gutters are in good working order.
- Clean up after outdoor gatherings.
- Use a caulking gun to fill in holes, openings, and cracks in your home's exterior foundation and around window and door frames.
- Fix or replace torn or damaged window and door screens.
- Address problems with weatherstripping and or door sweeps.
- Repair leaky pipes and fixtures around your home.
- Clean your home regularly and thoroughly.
- Be careful not to leave foods or drink out, but instead store leftovers inside airtight containers.
- Pick up after your pets, and clean out their food and water bowls after they finish with them.
- Make sure your trash cans have tight-fitting lids.
The Best Way To Deal With Ants
Are you looking for a long term solution to ants around your home? We have quality options here at Guard Pest Control. From thorough elimination to guaranteed exclusion, we handle pests of all shapes and sizes. Using only the most advanced methods and priding ourselves on top-of-the-line ant control services, we will make sure pests like ants stay out of your home for good.
If you are tired of dealing with ants and other pests around your Snohomish home, look no further than Guard Pest Control. We will find a plan that best suits your needs. Reach out to our team today to discuss your service options or to schedule an inspection for your Snohomish home.